Stolen Bloodline- A Paranormal romance.

StolenCover Stolen Bloodline
Paranormal Romance

To Buy:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
Barnes and Noble

Blurb:
Stolen away from her humdrum life, Imogen is thrown into a dark world where the creatures from tales are not only real, but rule the realm.

Vampires.

In this world of dark, moonlight is Imogen’s only source of safety, but the moon’s glow reveals a lot more than she ever realised. She soon learns her heritage and bloodline are what put her in danger, and the reason these vampires are keeping her hostage. But with a father who doesn’t even care enough to call, how was she supposed to know?

Held captive by the vampire leader, Bane, and his brother, Caden, Imogen must find a way to keep herself alive. Yet, the longer she remains, the more she wonders whether those she feared are the ones she should trust, as new truths continue to shine through.

When Bane shows Imogen that life in a world of dark can be more enlightening than her own sunlit realm, it seems that, though he may have stolen her from home, she risks him stealing her heart as well.

stolenq2

stolenquote

Prophecy of Stones- A fantasy, romance, adventure!

ProphecyCover Prophecy of Stones
Fantasy, adventure romance.

To Buy:

Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
Barnes and Noble

Blurb:
The bond of love can conquer all, but only if it is accepted.

Prophecy states that three champions imbued with the best virtues of the mortal race: heart, strength and soul, will be the ones to save them all from an enemy which threatens to steal the life from their world and those who live upon it.

These three, along with their scribe, his bond mate, and an overly sarcastic oracle, must set off on a journey which will take them through forest, city, swamp and mountain. On this quest they activate the magical stones which charge the only weapon powerful enough to defeat Tildar and his cult of Dwell.

Yet the closer they draw to journey’s end, the more it seems that it is not the evil which will be their downfall, but the fear of a champion unwilling to accept the bond of their destiny.

Prophecy of Stones is a tale of adventure, love and magic.

Trailer:

Meet my character blog hop!

So, I’ve been asked to participate in the Meet my Character blog hop by the awesome Shehanne Moore whose next book, ‘The Viking and The Courtesan‘ hopefully won’t be far from publishing after being signed with Soulmate publishing!

First, a bit of info about Shehanne Moore:

shey_blog_hop

When not cuddling inn signs in her beloved Scottish mountains, Shehanne Moore writes dark and smexy historical romance, featuring bad boys who need a bad girl to sort them out. She believes everyone deserves a little love, forgiveness and a second chance in life. Visit her blog to find out about past releases and hear more about her forthcoming time-slip historical, The Viking and The Courtesan.

Shehanne’s blog: http://shehannemoore.wordpress.com/

So first off I have two things to say before starting:

1. I’m VERY sorry to Shehanne who asked me to do this a couple of weeks ago and I just completely forgot, and she was really, really lovely to let me try it again!

2. I’m a terrible blog hopper. Because I actually forgot I had to find people to, you know, hop onto next 😀 So, I’m making a plea to other bloggers to do this and post a link in the comments? Because you’re all so lovely!

I swear I will get better at blogging one day!

Now onto the questions!

The character I have chosen is Alex Lailand from my work in progress, which is embarrassingly still untitled! 😀

What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person?

Her name is Alexandra (Alex) Lailand and she is a completely fictional woman.

When and where is the story set?

The story is a modern day story set in London and Scotland!

What should we know about him/her?

Alex is a very practical woman, and a very confident one. She built her business from nothing to a business that allows her to have a fancy apartment and office in the middle of London.

Though city life is beginning to wear on her, she won’t admit it.

What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life?

What messes up her life? More like who messes up her life!

That would be FG, her rom-com obsessed fairy godmother who appeared in her office one day and sent her life spiralling into chaos. FG believes Alex has lost her heart and passion for life including love and business, and she isn’t leaving until that’s fixed!

Though FG’s imagination runs as far as throwing Alex into her own romantic tale, flinging her and her ‘perfect match’ into an assortment of clichés she’s picked up from watching and reading too much romance, which only serve to make things a little awkward for the pair.

What is the personal goal of the character?

To be successful.

Alex is all about getting the win, even if that means focusing only on the hard facts rather than the personal when it comes to her clients.

Is there a working title for this novel and can we read more about it?

There is currently no working title! Which I should probably rectify pretty soon.

I recently posted a short, unedited teaser from the first draft. And of course I shall post more about it the closer it gets to release day (end of September!).

Ok, now is the part where I’m supposed to link to the other bloggers participating in the hop! But like I said, I had a complete blank when it came to this hop apparently! So I really hope someone is willing to join in!

If you do, please post it next Monday and let me know and I will link to the post 🙂 If you want more info, drop me an email and I will send you the details! Email: harliqueen (at) Hotmail (dot) co (dot) uk

Progress Report:

Status of fifth manuscript: Editing first draft.

Books read this month: 0/4

Mid-September Book Review: Currently reading.

And it’s done! With bonus teaser!

Photo by Oliver Hammond on Flickr

Photo by Oliver Hammond on Flickr

Yesterday I wrote, ‘The End’ on my first draft of my fifth book!

I have to say, considering it was supposed to be a light novella at under 30,000 words to give me a bit of a break, it kind of took on a life of it’s own!

I did skip a week at the beginning of August where I didn’t write at all (naughty, I know!), so when I realised I managed to pump out over 45,000 words in 3 weeks I was revelling in quite a lot of triumph!

I’m really starting to get my writing routine down and sticking to it 🙂

It’s always a rather exhilarating moment to finish a first draft, but it does tend to be only for a moment, because then I get the sinking feeling of knowing how much editing there is to do next 😀

And I have to say, I was worried about going back and reading this one. For some reason I got it into my head that the writing was terrible and I was going to practically be changing everything.

So, when I started reading through and looking at editing, I was pleasantly surprised it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I had told myself it would be! In fact, some parts were pretty darn good, if I do say so myself 😀

There is still plenty of editing to be done, but I have to say I’m enjoying the editing a lot more now I realise it’s much better than I thought, especially considering it’s a first draft.

And now, I am going to brave and post an unedited teaser/excerpt from my new book!

“And now, it’s time to get physical,” she said.

“Huh?” Alex asked, broken from her thoughts.

“What you like in a man, in his looks. But I think that’s pretty easy to determine.” FG slapped her wand against the desk’s surface, the bottom drawer flinging open and making Alex almost topple from her chair in surprise. From the drawer floated a dog-eared, well-read romance novel that Alex only brought out when she was certain she was alone.

“No, you can’t have that!” Alex yelled, trying to clamber over the desk to retrieve it. But it was nestled in the fairy godmother’s lap before she even had the chance.

The front cover was a vivid purple, the title, ‘Love of the Best Kind’, emblazoned in hot red, curling front across it.
“See? There is a romantic buried beneath that professional exterior of yours.” FG chuckled but Alex flushed red, sinking back into her chair and hoping it would swallow her whole.

FG flicked open the book, the crumpled pages falling open with ease. Her brows raised as she scanned the words and her eyes slowly widened.

She snapped the book shut. “Well, maybe not so romantic, but certainly passionate.”

Alex sunk further into her chair with a groan, covering her eyes with her hand.

Hope you enjoyed it!

How are you guys doing with your writing projects? Do you dread the editing phase? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by your own work when going back and reading it over?

*As usual, I will be away over the weekend and back on Monday to reply to comments and emails 🙂 Have a brilliant weekend everyone!*

Progress Report:

Status of fifth manuscript: Editing first draft.

Books read: 5/4

Mid September Book Review: Currently reading.

Rekindling my Love for Love!

My next book is going to be packed full of romance.

Why?

Because I want it to be 😀

I love romance, hence why I write it, but my last couple of books have had heavy stories to go along with romance. And I’d say they were romance of a different kind- a passionate, heavy romance.

This time I want something light and romantic.

So, I wanted to write a book where romance was going to be the main theme of the story. But, it’s also going to be a contemporary piece and I haven’t written a chick-lit type book before. So I needed to get into the mood for writing it.

I scoured the kindle store for books in that genre, but also I watched a lot of romance movies.

I have to say, they really did help me get in the right frame of mind 😀 As I said in my Romance Weekly post last week, I am very inspired by the visual.

I watched Austenland, which was just beyond awesome!

tumblr_n5sq2v9mUU1qmgx8uo1_500

Then I had an overload on Jane Austen, watching Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. Next up was While You were Sleeping and Penelope.

I have to admit, I was a bit de-motivated when I started writing my book, as I enjoyed writing in the fantasy genre so much. But watching these movies and reading that type of story reminded me exactly why I planned this book next.

Because I love every moment of those fun romantic movies! Every stolen glance, every damsel-in-distress moment, and every inevitable kiss in the rain! 😀

My next book is going to be a light, fun read where the romance genre in movies and books is heavily involved in the storyline, so watching and reading this type of genre has been perfect for getting me in the right frame of mind.

Let’s call it research! Very necessary research.

I always forget just how much the right mind-set can help to give me motivation to keep writing!

If you’re finding yourself a bit stuck in your story or not motivated, pick up a book in the same genre or watch a movie and remind yourself why you chose that genre. Reigniting your love of that type of story can be an amazing way exciting your creativity to keep writing!

Do you sometimes have to re-find your love of a genre? Do you always read within a specific genre? Are there any books or movies that instantly get you in the mood for writing?

Progress Report:

Status of Fifth Manuscript: Writing first draft.
Word count: 2395 (Total word count: 24770)

Books read: 3/4

End of August indie book review: Written and ready.

Prophecy of Stones- Release Day!

It’s here! Prophecy of Stones is now available!

ProphecyCover

Blurb:

The bond of love can conquer all, but only if it is accepted.

Prophecy states that three champions imbued with the best virtues of the mortal race: heart, strength and soul, will be the ones to save them all from an enemy which threatens to steal the life from their world and those who live upon it.

These three, along with their scribe, his bond mate, and an overly sarcastic oracle, must set off on a journey which will take them through forest, city, swamp and mountain. On this quest they activate the magical stones which charge the only weapon powerful enough to defeat Tildar and his cult of Dwell.

Yet the closer they draw to journey’s end, the more it seems that it is not the evil which will be their downfall, but the fear of a champion unwilling to accept the bond of their destiny.

Prophecy of Stones is a tale of adventure, love and magic.

Trailer:

Excerpt:

“Eight years is a long time to hide away from the world.” There was a momentary flicker of hurt which creased his brow before it softened again, and she knew he’d meant that it was a long time for her to hide from him.

She ran her fingers through her hair and twisted away, a wave of shame passing over her that she didn’t want him to see. “I did what I had to, for Leena.”

“Only for Leena?” he prodded.

Milana gritted her teeth. “What else was I supposed to do after what happened? Leave her alone and flounce off to join the war?” She flung her arms into the air, her raised voice echoing through the trees and quietening the wildlife that had been scuttling in the undergrowth. Riff was unmoved by her anger, as he always was. At times Milana wished to shake the feeling out of him and force him to react with more than a gentle frown or small smile. “You didn’t have to rejoin the fight.” Her voice was weak now, her rage battered into submission by the silent concern that shone through his soft gaze.

“Yes I did,” he replied. “It is our fight.”

“You could have come with me.”

“You could have asked.”

There was a long pause where years of pent up emotion hung in the air like the gazes of an accusing jury. Milana thought she would crumble beneath the weight of what remained unspoken.

Links:

Amazon.com

Amazon.co.uk

Smashwords

Goodreads


Why not sign up for my new mailing list?

True love? Pfft!

Whilst my manuscript is off with the readers for two weeks, I am taking a break from it. Mainly so as I can go over it with fresh eyes once I get it back, but also because during this time, I can go on and plan my next book.

I am a major planner, so it takes me quite some time to do all the research and characters, etc. Pretty much 24/7 for the full two weeks 😀 I do love planning though.

Anyway, whilst planning out my next book something struck me.

My next book is going to be vastly different to anything I’ve written yet. It’s going to be more of a contemporary, light-hearted read, kind of what I’d class as ‘chick-lit’.

I chose it because I have a fun story idea for it, but also because I just want to be able to let loose and have fun with my next book. My others all have heavy plots and characters, where as I plan to make my next one something fun and easy to read over a relaxing weekend.

Whilst planning, I realised how incredibly different the types of romance are in different genres of books.

So far I have written paranormal, fantasy and historical, and for some reason I have had no qualms about the romance and relationship being one of true love. I don’t mean fall in love at first sight (which I am not a fan of writing), but that intense, emotional kind of true love that builds up and doesn’t break. But, when planning out my next book, which is set in our modern, real world, I suddenly bulked at the idea of the romance being true love.

I realised it’s because for many true love doesn’t exist, so writing about it in a book set in the real world felt… fake? You can get away with it fantasy or paranormal, but in something with a sense of reality about it? Not so much.

And it really annoyed me 😀 That I was stopping myself from writing about a true love romance in a book set in the modern, real world because of this doubt about it in the real world.

I read romance to escape to a place where true love does exist, where characters find each other and fall in love against all odds, no matter what setting or genre that may be.

So why am I so hesitant to write about it? It’s just a story, after all.

Maybe it’s because in reality, relationships are hard, where as true love is meant to be easy? True love gives a sense that people are meant to be together no matter what, where as in life things just don’t work out that way. Writing a book set in the real world comes with the horrible reality that true love might not exist, so readers might be put off by a relationship written in such a way.

But, I am trying to push past my hesitancy.

Why?

Because I like true love, because I want to believe in true love even in today’s world, and there must be others out there who want to lose themselves in a story for the same reasons I do.

Yes, I am tailoring the romance to suit the genre, and I probably won’t even mention the words, ‘true love’ in the book, but still, I think any type of love that builds from an deep emotional connection is a true love no matter which genre it is.

What do you think about the different types of romances in different genres? How do you feel about true love in books? Have you written a true love romance?

Also, my blogger friend, Shannon A. Thompson, asked me to guest post on her blog, why not check it out?- Spreading the Love 🙂

Progress Report:

Status of Fourth Manuscript: With the readers. (1/3 returned).

Books read: 1/4

July eBook review: Written and ready.

Stolen Bloodline

StolenCoverStolen Bloodline
Paranormal Romance
Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Bloodline-Mishka-Jenkins-ebook/dp/B00KLBS4BU/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_tnr_2
Amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stolen-Bloodline-Mishka-Jenkins-ebook/dp/B00KLBS4BU/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/442160
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22352758-stolen-bloodline

Blurb:
Stolen away from her humdrum life, Imogen is thrown into a dark world where the creatures from tales are not only real, but rule the realm.

Vampires.

In this world of dark, moonlight is Imogen’s only source of safety, but the moon’s glow reveals a lot more than she ever realised. She soon learns her heritage and bloodline are what put her in danger, and the reason these vampires are keeping her hostage. But with a father who doesn’t even care enough to call, how was she supposed to know?

Held captive by the vampire leader, Bane, and his brother, Caden, Imogen must find a way to keep herself alive. Yet, the longer she remains, the more she wonders whether those she feared are the ones she should trust, as new truths continue to shine through.

When Bane shows Imogen that life in a world of dark can be more enlightening than her own sunlit realm, it seems that, though he may have stolen her from home, she risks him stealing her heart as well.

Excerpt:

“The Guardians, humans of a bloodline so strong they have kept us at bay.” Once again he reached out to touch her. Imogen tried to pull away only to find her retreat blocked by the desk. She flinched as he brushed his cold thumb over her chin. “Most vampires cannot drink the blood of a Guardian,” Caden continued, as he pushed a curl of hair behind her ear. “It is a euphoric poison.” She shuddered as he moved his feather light touch to her throat, his attention focused on it.

**This is a scheduled post as I am away for the week, as such I won’t be able to reply to comments or emails until I return on the 30th June. Have a great week 🙂 **

Bad boys, Aliens and Romance… Oh My!

I was having a think this morning about heroes and villains and why I found myself having trouble falling for the good guy romantic love interest. I wasn’t the only one, as Taylor Grace has also posted a great post on it.

When I’m reading, I tend to find myself drawn towards the bad guy lately. And I think it’s because the male heroes have become pretty much just perfect.

They are attractive, noble, loyal, they say and do the right things… Man, are they annoying!

The bad guys, I know, they are not nice, but at least they have character and flaws. They have realism to connect with.

I think part of the reason I’ve been thinking about this is due to the fact I’ve been watching Roswell lately (which I partly blame Winter bayne for, as all her great short fiction lately has me on a sci-fi kick!). When the show first came out, I was a little young to relate, but my sister watched it so I have a vague memory of it.

But I’ve been watching it from the start of season 1 and I have to admit, I do love it 😀 Like a 90’s blast from the past to my childhood! But also, I was looking at the characters.

If you don’t know the show, it’s a sci-fi, teenage, romance type thing and the plot revolves around three aliens (who are mostly human, obviously) as they figure out who they are and fall in love, etc.

The main character, the main draw of the show, is Max Evans. A good looking, dark-haired guy with a kind, generous and wise soul. Oh yes, he’s pretty darn perfect. And as a teenager, yeah, I probably would have been drawn to him 😀

But now, in my mid-twenties, I realised I’m not drawn to the perfect guy at all.

Michael on the other hand…

Now there’s a guy I could fall for.

Michael is Max’s best friend, an alien as well, but he is brash, brunt and not really romantic in the traditional way. He may not say the right things, he may not do the right things, but his romance with Maria makes me swoon every time. He’s still a good guy, but he’s flawed. Oh, and handsome as well, that’s still a must 😀

Yes, he’s who I go for.

And I realise I should probably think about this when I write romantic love interests myself in my books. Instead of going for the all around good guy, I am inspired by Michael and I am excited to write someone who is really flawed but good at heart, and the way they show romance is more real, rather than romantic puppy surprises (old spice commercial reference, because just too awesome not to!). They will make mistakes, but their intentions will be good. That is a character I could fall for and invest with!

Obviously, this is just my opinion 😀 Give it a few months and I will probably be full of interest in reading about a guy who gets it all right! I’m fickle like that, but at least with all of the stories out there now, we have such a great choice and can read to suit our tastes for the moment.

Also, as a side note I have decided on a release date for my books-

Wednesday 28th May!

I am so excited 😀

Are you all about the bad boys/girls? Do you like the perfect guy/girl? Which do you prefer to write about? Are there any characters who make you swoon at the mere mention of them? 😀

Progress Report

Publishing status:
> Stolen Bloodline- Marketing.
> The Queen’s Jester- Marketing.
> Heart of the Arena- Marketing.

May E-Book Review: Book read. Review written.

The Process of Titles and… a Reveal! :D

One of the most important features of a book.

The Title.

It identifies your work, and sometimes it also gives an impression of the story beneath the cover.

It is also helpful when that title is unique 😀 And due to this fact I have had to re-name one of my books.

Now, I have read up on the law regarding using the same title, and it does say you can use it as long as you don’t have the same story. Which makes sense.

But, I just felt kind of bad about using the same title as someone else. It was hard to change the title though, I have to admit. It was a difficult moment. Not only because it was hard thinking of something new, but also because the book title I changed was Stolen.

Stolen was a story I wrote when I was 15, and it has remained Stolen all these years, running around in my head knowing I would want to re-write it one day. So yeah, it’s been Stolen for quite some time and it feels weird calling it something else.

I also changed the title of another book, though that wasn’t so difficult. My third manuscript title was originally Victor!, but something didn’t feel right about it. Even though it suited the story, it just felt wrong.

But the other day, a title popped into my head. I mean, quite literally! 😀 I was just sat there and BAM!

Heart of the Arena.

It’s perfect!

So, it’s been a pretty interesting week with titles 😀 Two changed and for different reasons, but it was important to change them and get it just right. Titles are part of the catch to draw a reader’s attention, after all, so they have got to be perfect.

Also, in part celebration of the progress I’m making, and the fact I’m just totally excited. I present to you, Stolen’s new title, cover and blurb!! 😀

Click for larger image.

Click for larger image.

Blurb:
Stolen away from her humdrum life, Imogen is thrown into a dark world where the creatures from tales are not only real, but rule the realm.

Vampires.

In this world of dark, moonlight is Imogen’s only source of safety, but the moon’s glow reveals a lot more than she ever realised. She soon learns her heritage and bloodline are what put her in danger, and the reason these vampires are keeping her hostage. But with a father who doesn’t even care enough to call, how was she supposed to know?

Held captive by the vampire leader, Bane, and his brother, Caden, Imogen must find a way to keep herself alive. Yet, the longer she remains, the more she wonders whether those she feared are the ones she should trust, as new truths continue to shine through.

When Bane shows Imogen that life in a world of dark can be more enlightening than her own sunlit realm, it seems that, though he may have stolen her from home, she risks him stealing her heart as well.

*Blurb edited and improved by the incredible suggestions of Amos M. Carpenter

Excerpt:

“These memories should remain in the past, you have no need to know of them, you have no need to know of me.” His tone was stern and he avoided her gaze.

“But what if I want to know?” Imogen asked whilst standing from her place. “Haven’t I earned that much by being kept prisoner here?” Her voice was as firm as his had been. She had not meant to say it, she had not wanted to ruin that night by reminding them both of the situation. Yet his reluctance and unwillingness to trust her had for some reason hurt deep within her.

Bane stiffened at her words and then the expressionless, stern façade he had lost long ago when talking with her returned. Imogen bit her lip and clenched her fists.

“As you say,” he said, his calm demeanour returned. “You are a hostage, and that is all you are.” It was as though he’d just once again realised she wasn’t a guest but his prisoner.

“And you are the man, the monster, keeping me in this dark prison!” Imogen didn’t know what she was saying, it was just blurting from her in angry shouts before she could stop herself.

“Monster?” Bane swallowed hard, her use of the word obviously cutting at him. Imogen wanted to apologise, but her stubbornness made her throat seize up. “Do not think yourself so precious, my lady.” His formality sent a shooting pain across her chest. “It was your bloodline that made me so monstrous.”

“People I don’t even know did that, not me.”

“But you see me as only someone who would cause harm?” Bane asked. Imogen gasped and stumbled back against the wall when he lunged forwards, his hands slamming against the stone either side of her. The force put dents in the wall where his fists collided. “You think I would hurt you? After everything, you still believe-” He stopped himself. Their breaths mingled at the closeness of his face to hers. Imogen felt the barrage of unspoken declarations that passed between them like electric over her skin, Bane seeming to sense it also, his jaw clenching. Imogen knew their anger stemmed from them both trying to deny what they felt, what they knew was happening. Yet still she remained silent, unwilling to admit the emotions she knew she should not feel so strongly for him, even if saying them would free her from the constant pressure of burying them. Bane let out a low growl before storming out of the room.

***

Hope you enjoyed it!

Have you had trouble with titles? Have you had to change titles of your books? Do they come to you easily, or do you have to work to come up with a title? What’s your favourite title (your’s or someone else’s)?

Progress Report

Publishing status:
> Stolen Bloodline- Marketing.
> The Queen’s Jester- Cover. (Still to do: Blurb, marketing).
> Heart of the Arena- Cover. (Still to do: Blurb, marketing).

May E-Book Review: Book read. Review written.